Wednesday, February 17, 2016

AN AGNOSTIC'S SURPRISE

In August 2014 I spoke with a woman in her twenties who said she believed in God but did not believe in religion. Her boyfriend was nearby. At the end of our conversation I asked her the following three true or false questions that elicited a big smile of surprise.
Me: It is good for me to let your boyfriend get away with sinning.
Her: False
Me: It is good for me to be his judge.
Her: False

Me: Then what should I do?
Her: (puzzled) I don't know.
Me: How about this one. It is good for me to let God be his judge.
Her: Now that is true.
How did she know these things and why did it surprise her to connect the dots?
If you dislike my third question to her, then what do you think is the connection between mind and action? Does resting in God's judgment of others lead us to passivity or to glad involvement in their lives to point them to our God who is righteous and lavishly generous?

[Note: The above was posted on the Oasis FaceBook page shortly after the event.]

No comments:

Post a Comment