The Apostle Paul's Great Desire
Paul't great effort was to the purpose for all Christians "that their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and to all the riches of the full assurance of understanding, to the knowledge of the mystery of God, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and of knowledge." -Colossians 2:1-3
1) Paul desired all saints to be encouraged in heart.
2) All saints are already knit together. It is a done deal. It is finished.
3) The focus of that knitting together is love (God's). The implication is that it is not your (or other's) proper behavior.
4) The purpose of that knitting together is all the riches of the full assurance that comes from understanding.
5) The riches are total not partial.
6) The assurance is full not partial.
7) The foundation of the riches and assurance is understanding, This implies that it excludes your (or other's) proper behavior.
8) The understanding is focused on knowledge of the mystery of God.
9) The mystery of God is Christ.
10) ALL the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are in Christ.
11) Since the treasures are hidden then they are not obvious.
12) A saint need search no where but Christ to discover the riches God has extended and that are already possessed in Christ.
A Vision of Encouragement Overflows
God through Paul expresses His vision and longing for all saints to be encouraged. Do you want encouragement? Then ponder what you have in Christ. Do you see a discouraged saint? Then gently remind that dear one of what you together have in Christ. Do you sense distance from other saints? Then apply the above in some way that puts you at the feet of the other that you might look together at the treasures in Christ. Do you see division among other saints? Then prepare yourself to be part of the solution by renewing you mind to this truth by simple submission through thankfulness. Thank God often for details of what it says and means and how it applies to you and to those giving the appearance of division. Then you will likely be a more-effective minister of reconciliation when the opportunity arises.
This is a community affair. Let's celebrate!